If you are currently thinking of filing a personal injury claim over any type of accident including a car incident, slip and fall, medical malpractice, and others of the kind, you are probably wondering about the worth of your case. The answer would really come down to figuring out the monetarily cost of your injuries.
When it comes to personal injury lawsuits, the monetary damages are actually paid to the injured person. It is usually done so by the company or the person who is responsible for the accident – this could be the defendant himself or the insurance company.
The damage award could be agreed upon in a settlement, which is usually how the majority of cases are being handled, or, it could be paid as execution of the verdict of the court. With this being said, let’s have a look at the compensatory damages which are taken into account when it comes to a personal injury case.
There are quite a few different types of compensatory damages that one would have to take into account when it comes to it. Let’s break it down a notch.
• Medical Treatment: It is quite obvious that the majority of people would seek some sort of medical attention after they have been injured. This is being paid for. The amount that you spend on getting better is going to represent the cost of your damages.
• Loss of income: During the time of your injury, you might be impaired to go to work. This is you main or only source of income and, as such, you are not capable of providing for your family. This is also the type of damages that you can actually recover.
• Property loss: If your property has been damaged in any way – you can claim recovery. For instance, you might have been involved in a car crash and you might want to go ahead and claim the damages for your vehicle.
• Emotional Distress: This is usually associated with serious accidents. This could result in severe and chronic anxiety, loss of sleep and others of the kind.
• Pain and Suffering: This is pretty much the compensation for the serious discomfort as well as for the actual pain that you are suffering as a result of the accident.
Of course, there are other damages that you can potentially recover. For instance, you can also claim loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment and others of the kind. The important thing to consider here is the fact that you would have to rely on a personal injury lawyer – he is going to be well aware of the mechanics when it comes to price formation. Most of the personal injury lawyers work in the same domain and have helped many victims get the highest possible amount of compensation, which helps them tide over financial issues after an accident.